We, at Daily Kneads, wish you and your family a very Happy and Healthy Ugadi and Gudi Padwa. We hope this New Year fills you with energy, enthusiasm, and gratitude.
Ugadi is celebrated as a New Year by the people of the Telugu and Kannada communities in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka. In Maharashtra, this New Year festival is known as Gudi Padwa.
It is a time for celebration and none of it is complete if we don’t have a delicious feast. After a heavy lunch we take a nap or spend time with our loved ones and then when it's tea time, we always crave for a snack. If you're looking for a quick healthy snack, we have the crispy, tasty Appam/ Paniyaram snack. This spongy Appam is commonly prepared on festivals like Karthikey Deepam, Krishna Jayanthi, Ugadi etc. It is made with whole wheat flour, rice flour, semolina (sooji/rava), jaggery, banana, grated coconut and ghee.
Ingredients (for almost 80 appams)
Ripe banana - 2 medium size
Wheat flour (Daily Kneads Millet Power atta) - 2 cup
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
Rava / Semolina - 1 tbsp
Jaggery powdered - 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Elaichi (cardamom powder) - 1/2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Steps to cook
- First peel the banana and mash it into a paste.
- Take a mixing bowl and add the wheat flour and rice flour. Then add cardamom powder and grated coconut to it.
- Add a pinch of salt and mashed banana into the mixing bowl and stir the contents well.
- Now heat jaggery along with 1 cup of water in a pan, stir well to dissolve. Once the jaggery melts completely turn off the flame. Add the thick jaggery syrup to batter.
- Add Rava and mix the batter well, the batter should be of thick consistency.
- Grease the paniyaram pan with ghee, heat the pan on low flame.
- Pour batter in the pan and heat the pan in medium flame.
- Drizzle ghee to the top of the Appam. Let it cook until it turns golden brown at the bottom.
- Flip it to the other side and cook for some time. Once its golden on both the sides, remove from flame.
- Yummy and healthy sweet Appams are ready.
We would recommend you to use Daily Kneads Millet Power whole wheat flour as it includes benefits of millets, thus making it a healthy choice.
This Ugadi, let us make changes to our lifestyle by opting for healthier choices. The other Daily Kneads product range includes Traditional Rice, Speciality Flours and Porridge/Congee Mix. One step at a time towards a healthy and happy life!